Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Does Public Rudeness Rise When the Moon is Full?


Ask any waitress or retail clerk and they will tell you that public rudeness is on the rise.  I don't know the reasons for this increase, but I've seen it everywhere.

People who are rushed for time get very annoyed when their every wish isn't fulfilled instantly.  You've more than likely witnessed adult meltdowns at Walmart, Kroger or your favorite local store.

Back in the day, toddlers were the only ones who melted down in public, throwing themselves into the floor in a fit because they wanted something they couldn't have.

Embarrassed parents once tried to pretend those kids did NOT belong to them as they pleaded, cajoled and threatened their kids to get them out of the floor.

I know because I was one of those parents.  My younger daughter routinely threw fits in the grocery store when she wanted candy or something else on display at the checkout counter.

Like many parents, I nearly always said no to the demands, ignored the fits and employed my magical bag of parenting tools to get her out of the floor and out the door.

I've noticed lately that there seems to be an increase in the angry craziness of adults when the moon is full.  I haven't done any studies, but others in the public eye agree with me on this one.

Although scientific studies show no relation between the cycles of the moon and heightened anger, those who work with the public disagree.

We live in an instant gratification society, it's sad but true.  From microwaves to text messages, everything happens in the blink of an eye.

Most kids have not been raised to wait for anything.  Is it any surprise that these kids became young adults and parents who still don't want to wait?

We are all pushed in every facet of life.  From the time we wake until the time we close our eyes, our lives are filled with demands.

Some people react to stressful situations with anger.  Whether or not you have an anger management problem, you may find yourself overreacting when faced with a long wait.

Our schedules are too full and we don't plan ahead well.  When we try to squeeze too many things into a short time span, we will often find ourselves waiting impatiently as we look at our watches.

There may be no hope for slowing down for modern adults.  Life waits for nobody, not even you.  But we can each do our part.

Arrive early for appointments.  Allow extra time for traffic.  Plan ahead and don't wait until the last minute.  If you're going somewhere known for long waits, don't go on your lunch break and bring something to do.

Most of all, when something or someone takes longer than you think it should, don't strike out in anger at the person who's just doing their job.

And for those of us working with the public, try a little kindness.  As you see these quasi-werewolves evolve in public, speak nicely to them instead of judging them.  A little bit of kindness can go a long way.

Well, that's my little rant for today.  After the full moon is done rising high in the sky for the month, hopefully the rude people will calm down.

Until then, I'll take what I can get when I can get it and do the best I can to face each day with a smile on my face, a prayer on my lips and a song in my heart.

Blogging Grandma Sandy signing off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment