Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summer, Where Did You Go?


I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to say farewell to summer yet. There are too many things on my summer bucket list that I've not yet done.

Believe it or not, I haven't been to the beach for even a day trip this summer. I've only been to visit my parents and siblings once this summer.

I didn't enjoy nearly enough spendovers with the grandkids this summer. The combination of working later hours and hurting my back made it more difficult to have the kids over.

This picture of my son and his cousin playing in the sand many years ago is the way I picture summer. A carefree time spent making memories.

I guess it's true that time goes faster as you get older. It seems like summer just started, then I blinked my eyes and it was gone.

Both of our grandsons have started school. Today, our granddaughter starts preschool. The day after Labor Day was once when all of the kids started school.

With all of the kids in school, I guess that means that summer really is over. Life is a lot like that. Blink your eyes and the years fly by.

I've always loved summer better than all of the other seasons. As a child, we spent summer days in happy play, at the pool or at home.

As an adult, I loved having the kids home and few schedules to keep. It's always a little sad for me when summer ends.

But all good things eventually end and it's the same with summertime. Despite not having enough time to do all that I wanted, it was a good summer filled with happy memories.

A trip to visit my parents, a few trips to Smith Mountain Lake, a day at the Peaks of Otter, some afternoons at the American Legion Lake and some family dinners in Kansas and here at home make for a good summer.

Now, it's on to September's glorious days. Those crisp mornings when you can almost taste fall on the way. Those dog day afternoons when it's still hot but there's no pool or lake to use for cooling off.

A few leaves have begun to change colors and soon the beauty of autumn will be everywhere. As one month ends and another begins, I guess I'll have to go along with the change too.

I'm grateful for an entire week of vacation this week. Maybe by the time the week ends, I will embrace the month of September and let go of August and summer.

Until then, I'll take what I can get when I can get it and do the best I can to face each day with a smile on my face, a prayer on my lips and a song in my heart.

Blogging Grandma Sandy signing off for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment