Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Mom Showed Me the Way


They say that only a Mom really knows
How quickly life moves, how fast time goes.
From babies to toddlers to school girls and boys
Rattles and stuffed animals to being too big for toys.

Those older and wiser try to tell the young Mom 
To live life while they're young, they'll soon be at prom. 
Soon driving and laughing, or texting all day 
Growing and changing and moving away.

A Mom's heart breaks with each ache her child feels 
Though she tries to soften the blows making deals. 
With God or with man or whoever she can 
To help her son grow up to be a man.

To moms everywhere on your own special day 
Your job is to see your children on their way. 
To manhood and to womanhood too 
Until you soon have no more job to do.

Moms take the blame for whatever goes wrong 
And pass out the praise when the boy's big and strong. 
'That's my boy' or 'That girl is mine' 
Pride in your voice, eyes that do shine.

As you look toward your children, now grown 
You know that you'd give up all that you own. 
To go back in time, if just for a day 
To a time when the baby in your arms did lay.

The future still so far far away 
For now just only time to play. 
And knowing then what now you know 
How quickly that little baby would grow.

A good Mom works herself out of a job 
The kids grow up and time does rob 
The days away and memories too 
Leaving Mom sometimes sad and blue.

But don't despair, Moms here and there 
Before you know, life will soon be fair. 
When that baby of yours has a baby too 
For you to hold and rock and sing to.

That's what the older ones all know 
Life's endless circle as little ones grow. 
You've done your job, you did your best 
And now you've earned your little rest.

Thanks to all the Moms, especially mine 
You raised all eight, should have been nine. 
You saw us all through thick and thin 
You did it all while wearing a grin.

Because you knew our time would come 
We'd have to let go of our own little ones. 
Wave good-bye and choke back our tears 
Let them go their own way despite all the fears.

Thanks dear Mom for showing me the way 
And for teaching me how to sing and to play. 
Showing me what a good Mom should do 
When I grew up, I became just like you. 

- Sandy Wallace, May 2, 2012

One of the perks of being a freelance writer is the freedom to write about whatever I want. I originally wrote this poem as a Mother's Day tribute to my Mom, published in May 2012 on the Yahoo Contributor Network. During the month of May 2015, we've made it through two more firsts: the first Mother's Day without our Mom and Mom's first birthday in Heaven. 

They say the first year spent grieving the loss of a loved one is the worst and that the pain lessens with time. Almost a year ago, we said our final good-byes to Mom and Dad. Mom died on June 5, 2014, and Dad followed her to their eternal home just 16 days later on June 21, 2014.

As I turned the calendar from May to June this year, those two dates stood out on the calendar as bleak reminders of this grief-filled year. Mom's homegoing took place early in the morning of my younger grandson's sixth birthday. Perhaps this was God's way of giving me a reason to celebrate June 5 each year, instead of just grieving. It seems fitting to republish this tribute as the date of Mom's death approaches.

I captured this photo of my Mom on one of my many visits back home. Mom always asked me to call when I was getting close to home so she could be ready and probably so she could be on the front porch waiting for me -- my personal welcome home committee of one. Dad was usually waiting inside, except when he was gone to Boy Scout camp.

This is one of my fondest memories of Mom -- waiting for one of her children to come home. Whether standing on the front porch waiting in the middle of the day or sitting on the living room davenport waiting in the middle of the night, waiting for her kids to come home is just what Mom did.

One of Mom's favorite sayings was, "You take it as it comes." Mom waited for us then as she waits for us now. When my days on earth come to an end, I expect to see Mom waiting for me on the other side -- my personal welcome home committee to Heaven. Until then, I'll take it as it comes. I Love you, Mom! You're loved and missed always.

No comments:

Post a Comment